Alexander Wang Fall 12 Review + Analysis Part 1

via livestream

"The hair and make up suggested goth but the netted mouth covers suggested ninja. Whoever she is, Alexander Wang's girl this fall is strong and mysterious."

It is not news that I'm a big fan of Alexander Wang. Not a month goes by without me mentioning him/the brand on the blog. So naturally, it is one of the shows I look forward to come fashion week.

This season, Alexander Wang was inspired by "packaging and how we preserve things." Laminated tweeds, hoodies with plastic accents, and straw-like fringes were all present in the show.


Beyond the inspiration, the vibe of the collection was resoundingly dark. The palette was black, navy, wine red (oxblood as Wang calls it), with glimmers of white. The hair and make up suggested goth but the netted mouth covers suggested ninja. Whoever she is, Alexander Wang's girl this fall is strong and mysterious.

Read more after the jump:


Early on his career, mixing fabrics was Wang's forte but has now turned to texture to experiment with. Drapey sheer shirts , long wool gloves had leather finger inserts, and pants had snagged threads. Sheen was also featured quite a bit in the collection from patent shoes, waxy sweaters, to long leather skirts.


What do I think of the collection personally? Besides not being a girl (why should clothes have a gender anyway?), I don't think he quite had me in mind this season. I don't like shiny clothes, I don't care for the red he used, and I really don't like the design of the outerwear and bags. There's some thing about it that puts me off. It's nineties in a not so modern way.

all photos via style

I do like the functional pieces like the puffer jacket, which will protect you better than a stylish quilted poncho. I feel those leather pants and skirts will sell well and are surefire trends for the season. I also like the more conceptual pieces like the bad ass netted mouth covers (pair it up with S/S 10's perforated bandanna for double the badassness). Styling continues to be a strong suit for Alexander Wang and the line up is always one of the most cohesive. The fringe dress with the sheer top paired with a long undershirt underneath (probably how the Wang girl would wear it anyway) is proof of that.

Check out Part 2 here:

No comments:

Post a Comment