Bad Blood Isn't Taylor Swift's Best Song

I was supposed to be in the video but then they realized I wasn't famous. 

You've seen the posters and you've watched the music video. Taylor Swift and her army of famous bffs (fbffs?) kicked ass. And perhaps her serial dater persona finally was too. Lest Taylor Swift be known as the serial friendster from now on.

Another kickassery Bad Blood made: it set a new record for most views in 24 hours with 20.1m views. Add that to Catastrophe's list of powers.

It's fucking genius really. With the combined fan base of her fbffs (we're making this a thing) + Kendrick Lamar + bros's weakness to latex babes , I can't think of anyone not pressing play.


Otherwise, you're not relevant. Or have internet connection.

Also, imagine Taylor Swift developed these friendships just so when she finally said 'Sup, wanna make a music video with me?' they'd say 'yaaaaas!'

Hollywood is always suspect.

Admittedly, I was a casualty of the video (cuz I was SLAYED). However, I can't help and think 'What about Style?!'


Style is a standout from 1989 and a favourite from Taylor Swift's entire catalogue. When I heard it for the first time on a 1989 promo commercial for Target, I was hyyyyyyped. It was like sodium. I ate it and the thirst for 1989 became realer.

I've never played a commercial so much in my life. When I heard it in full, I was quenched.

So I was disappointed when I saw the music video for it. Sure, it was pretty and neat but it didn't surpass my vision for it. I imagined a mustang being driven through the good, the bad, and the ugly. Winter, spring, summer, and fall. The fashion for each season. There would be conflict, joy, and nostalgia. My vision was vivid and it was big and dramatic.

(Specifically, I wanted a tunnel scene a la Perks of Being A Wallflower pre chorus and as they exit and reach the cityscape the chorus would drops and I would feel.it.all.)

I just wanted the visuals to match the song and I was underwhelmed. On top of that, Taylor Swift paid it dust not promoting it. No performance at late night or award shows.

So although I enjoyed Bad Blood and the promo that came with it, I'm disappointed Style didn't get the same treatment. The song deserved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment