Versace: Gianni's Vintage Prints and How I've Grown To Love The Brand

via fashionedbylove
"To me, Versace was outlandish, overtly sexy and in a way an antithesis of me both style wise and as a person."

More often than not, I am dressed in different variations of black and white ensembles. They're easy and safe. A personal default. Actually, for a while I insisted on a strict wardrobe of  blacks and whites with a supporting role from navies and greys. But slowly something shifted. At first it was curiosity but eventually, somehow, a red and then a blue have made it into my closet of darkness. Now, I happily own a neon orange bag. Yes, I still wear mostly neutrals but at least now I have an appreciation for colour and prints.

One of the reason for this is Versace. Yes, my venture into colour started a while back before that little demure collaboration with H&M but it sure helped to cement it. Not so much the collection that came out of that but rather Versace itself. Of course, I've known a tad about Versace but never bothered to know more besides my preconceived notions. To me it was outlandish, overtly sexy and in a way an antithesis of me both style wise and as a person. Often I've joked that I'm not Italian sexy (eg. Dolce and Gabanna, Roberto Cavalli) but rather Italian quirky (eg. Prada). Which is still mostly true but through my research I've realized that I had more in common with Versace style wise than I previously assumed.

In my evolution of style I have learned that I am attracted to designs with impact. By that I mean design features such as sharp structure and strong colour. To me that translate to rich not only in terms of price but also in quality. Not that my clothes are always well made and expensive but I take comfort that it appears that way. Isn't how you look and feel the whole point of clothes?

via the skinnybeep
When I see Gianni's iconic printed shirts I respond to it. I love the prints. I love the geometry. I love the colours. And I love that they have produced so many different styles throughout the years. More than ever I feel that Gianni's printed shirt shave become relevant again.

via style

The baroque sensibility that Gianni's printed shirts have is experiencing a fashion resurgence. Alexander McQueen has always revisited this era as a source of inspiration for his intricate work. Prada's successful S/S 10 collection featured sunglasses that were subsequently named Baroque sunglasses. And finally, Givenchy's F/W 11 collection have also referenced this era. Evidently, fashion is cyclical and baroque Versace shirts are making a comeback.

Give it some more time and Versace sexy might be back again too.

via thehautehoosier

"Versace is unapologetic in spirit and whether his designs are in vogue or not this attitude should always be."

Past the printed shirts, what I admire most about Gianni is his philosophy for Versace. He once said, "People have to educate themselves and express their individuality." Versace is unapologetic in spirit and whether his designs are in vogue or not this attitude should always be.


No comments:

Post a Comment